Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Grades

I've learned so much about grades during parenthood. I've been so proud of a 65 you'd think I was crazy. Because that 65 was earned! Through tears at the table & admissions of feeling stupid for not getting it. I've also been so very proud of the all A's that come so easy to one of my children. Lately though I've been worried about grades. It's hard to watch your kid struggle & fail. Especially when you hear the reasons. Which are valid. But school is over & it doesn't matter anymore. Now it's a lesson. To speak up. Ask for help. To communicate.

We're trying to help Reid be his OWN advocate. Not because I will stop. But because ultimately it's his responsibility. I'm not in his class, he is. I'm not in his head, he is. So if he doesn't understand something, he needs to ask. Even if he feels stupid. Even if it looks like everyone else gets it. Even if it means working after school or before. That's a hard lesson for anyone. But you can't get help if you never ask.

I think teachers need to ask certain questions to the kids that are known to have disabilities. Communication works both ways. Is the student just being lazy or did they not understand what you were saying? I get it. Teachers hear a MILLION excuses & they can't chase down every kid, every day. But did you look in their file? Are there accommodations?  Did you apply them? Did you ask the student if they understood? Maybe if you asked a few questions the student would feel comfortable coming to you. And you could BOTH figure it out. Together. Try reading up on the disability your student has. What you think you know about Aspergers & Tourettes can be different than what you actually do know.

I've learned valuable lessons myself too. Reid isn't a typical student. I know that BUT sometimes I need a reminder. Sometimes I'm TOO hard on him. I try so hard to not let him use his Aspergers & Tourettes as an excuse that I forget he actually has a disability. And he DOES need help. Crazy, I know. I want him to adapt but the truth is he is 14.

Here are some great resources to help:

http://www.aspieinfo.com/teacher%20tips.html  (for teachers)

http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2011/05/helping-aspergers-students-transition.html (everyone)

http://www.yourlittleprofessor.com/teen.html (parent)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/conditions/navigating-high-school-with-aspergers/article572681/     (everyone)









2 comments:

  1. When it comes to algebra I always felt like I was disabled in some way. And Im not trying to be funny either. I would cry about it. In college I was the girl everyone in the class groaned at when I raised my hand. I literally got out of that class by the skin of my teeth. And I had a teacher that was an AWFUL communicator that made me not want to go to her or even speak to her. I had to drop her class and transfer to another teacher because of it. I LOVE your blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Math is not my friend. Thank you so much for reading the blog♥

      Delete