Thursday, September 12, 2013

Football

In high school Friday nights were spent watching my brothers. Football was a tradition passed down from Uncles & cousins. One that my brothers were proud to continue. Reid has always been a bigger child. This has prompted many conversations from school coaches, friends & family. "Is he going to play football?" He had the size but lacked the desire to play.  This summer he went to his school football camp. And loved it. I was very happy he chose to play a sport & make that commitment. I was a little worried though. He's never played. Football can be dangerous. And....he's an Aspie.

There, I said it. It did run through my mind. How could it not? I was more concerned about that than an injury. Crazy, I know. Would the coaches understand? Would the players? Would he like after it got difficult? The summer camp was no picnic but it was also no contact. What would happened when he put pads on? And had to hit someone. And they hit him? I never told him these things, of course. I prayed. A lot. Talked to my brothers & hubby. And waited. Turns out, it's been the BEST thing for him.

It's given him a purpose. He's up early for school, he's doing ALL of his homework. Sure, mostly to avoid "do rights" but it's working. He loves it. And he's pretty darn good. I think football in Texas gets negative press sometimes. Are there crazy parents that take it WAY too seriously? Yes, but you have that in every sport. Are there coaches that take it way too seriously? Yes, but again, you can see that anywhere. I'm choosing to see the positive side. And there are SO many great things about football. Here's a few.

1. Exercise- Hours of practice in the Texas sun with pads on.

2. Team work- I'm sure not everyone likes everyone on the team. But that's real life. And you still     have to work together. That's invaluable for a young man that thinks he's the center of the universe.

3. Friends- There are over 100 boys on our freshman teams. They have spent & will spend hours, days & weeks with each other. Getting their butts kicked, winning, losing & getting hurt. They are friends when it counts. Brothers even. They can pick on each other, or call each other names. But you cannot.

4. Accountability-  You can't miss practice. You can't miss school. Sure, if you're REALLY sick, you can. But it's great when your kid is having a morning when they just don't want to go. And not get out of bed. They have coaches, teachers & friends expecting them to show up. Also, there's 20 other kids that can play your position, waiting for you to not show up one day.

5. I know where he is- And who he's with. He's at practice. Or home doing homework. Or eating. Or sleeping. Or at the other games watching the JV or Varsity. With his teammates. And at lunch, he sits with other players. And I know their parents because we sit at the games together.

6. He belongs to something- He found somewhere he fits in. To any kid that's invaluable. To MY kid it's...amazing. Awesome. Just a beautiful thing.

7. He's too tired to get in trouble.- He's 14 & has a little more freedom. I keep an eye on him but I'm not stupid. I was young once & I had brothers. There's ALL kinds of trouble for boys that age. But between practice, games & school he's worn out.

8. Mentors- There are some amazing upperclassman at his school. The same boys that helped with Rowan's room are setting a wonderful example for Reid. We hear so many stories about kids at school getting in trouble. We don't hear enough about young men like this!

9. Coaches- These men are doing something right. They get hundreds of boys to show up to something every day, on time? To practice & play with all their hearts. I'm sure they want to win. But let's be honest, that's a whole lot of work to just say you won a few games. They're investing time in our sons.

10. Sacrifice- Such a great thing for an Aspie, or any young man, to learn. These boys sacrifice their time, their ego's & themselves every day. They also sacrifice their testosterone & leave it on the field.

There are so many more but I won't bore you. Texas football is many things. It's Friday nights with a thousand of your closest friends. It's respect for everyone that is investing in your kids. It's the band. For me it's all of those things & more. Reid is happy to be a part of something. I would be writing about band or art the same way if that's what he chose. But he chose football. And I think it chose him a little too.





No comments:

Post a Comment